The Bachelor of Science course requires students to complete certain number of hours in the science laboratories and conduct several experiments required by the syllabus.
The Laboratories at GDC are as follows:
The physics laboratory is a 600 sq. ft. floor area used for experimental work along with audio visual classes.
- The Physics lab explores various experiments that demonstrate, study several phenomena and formulae that are a consequence of physics. The plethora of apparatus and devices meant for the purpose of studying concepts in the field of mechanics, thermodynamics, electronics etc.
- A Optical Experiment room aka. Dark room is available exclusively to conduct various experiments based on light. The dark rooms houses instruments that can be used to conduct various optical experiments along with several spectral lamps and experimental light sources, to learn and verify various optical phenomena.
- The laboratory is also equipped with a mounted projector and presentation system and can host visually aided talks and lectures. This enables the department to also screen science documentaries for the students.
- The physics lab along with the experimental syllabus also promotes amateur astronomy and conducts regular sunspot views and sky watch programs. For this purpose, the laboratory consists of a 8” Dobsonian Mount Reflector Telescope and a 3” Refractor Telescope, both powered by tracker systems.
The laboratory is also used to demonstrate concepts that are not included in practical syllabus but are required in theory.
The students are also actively involved in building models and apparatus for competition and demonstration purposes.
Department provides well equipped laboratory which can accommodate 24 students for the practical’s in one batch . Located in the ground floor of science block and has two laboratories and preparation cum store room. With separate Physical Chemistry laboratory.
- Apart from regular teaching the department has been conducting student centered activities like “Do it yourself” and “Reaching out the society” and industrial visits.
- Instruments like Centrifugation machine, Potentiometer,Conductivity meter, Melting point apparatus , Colorimeter,pH meter have been regularly used in the laboratory.
- The chemistry lab along with experimental syllabus also invites and attracts students from various schools and PU colleges and demonstrates various experiments in the laboratory.
- The laboratory also encourages research activites for the students.
Mangalore University has introduced practicals for Mathematics subject in Bsc. In our college “Mathematics laboratory” inaugurated with 10 computers sponsored by MRPL under its CSR project.Computers are configured for practical programming purpose. The laboratory is also equipped with LCD projector system along with updated software’s and tools, It is now used for Bsc practicals and MCOM students using this lab to write their online test.
Computer Science Department consists of 3 laboratories with a total of 80 computers configured for practical programming purpose.
The systems under each lab run on Windows 10, Windows 7 and Ubuntu Operating Systems as required by various softwares that are included in the practical curriculum.
The system configurations are as follows:
- Intel Core 2 Duo / Intel i3 Processor
- 4 Gigabytes of RAM
- 500 GB Hard disk space
The laboratory is also equipped with:
- A/Cs for cooling and efficient running of the systems
- LCD Projector systems
- Updated softwares and tools.
KNOW YOUR LIBRARY :
FORGET NOT, BOOKS ARE THE PRESERVERS AND TRANSMITTERS OF THE ACCUMULATED WISDOM OF THE PAST AND NASCENT THOUGHT OF PRESENT DAYS
The library at Govinda Dasa College is spacious, resourceful and state-of-the art with E-Library systems integrated into our system. Library is the heart of our college. The Govindadasa College Library was established in the year 1967. It moved to independent building in 1982. Our Library is housed in the First Floor of the library Building and occupied nearly 6000 Sp.ft.. The first half space is utilized for reading and reference purposes and the other space for stacking and virtual library purpose.
The library boasts of a large collection of book on all topics related to academics and topics beyond. At present, the library has in its stock about 48,902 books covering a wide variety of subjects. Its also received 11 news papers and 28 magazines for the purpose of general reading. 26 periodicals on various subject to facilitate current reading on different subjects.
LOCATION OF SECTION
READING ROOM :
100 Readers can sit at a time in the Reading Room provided with comfortable wooden table with partition and wooden chairs. Sufficient fans and tube lights are provided .
NEWS PAPER SECTION :
The passage leading to Reading Room Section is converted into Newspaper Corner. While daily newspapers are displayed here. The back numbers are filed and kept on the side by rack provided for this purpose. However, these back numbers are moved once in a month to the storage section.
PERIODICAL SECTION :
26 Subject Periodical are displayed in the slanted Periodical Racks (Included M.Sc Chemistry , M.Com and Under Graduate.
MAGAZINE SECTION :
25 popular magazines are displayed in the slanted magazines rack.
STACK ROOM :
Books are properly arranged and displayed here for the convenience of the reader.
REFERENCE SECTION :
Reference Books are kept separately in the stack section.
SMALL SIZE BOOKS :
The small size books are segregated and are maintained in stack room. These are under closed access and are made available only on demand.
STORAGE SECTIONS: (UPSTAIRS)
- Rare Book Collection
- Damaged Books and Unserviceable Books
- Back volumes of Periodicals and News Papers
- Back volumes of College Magazines.
- Non-Usable Materials.
BEST OF THE BEST
A Book Review Programme titled ‘PUSTAKA PREETHI PARICHAYA is organized once in a week to motivate reading habits among the students. This programme is one of the Best programme ever organised by library and admired by all Library users.
Comment for the word, is another programme introduced after Pusthaka Preethi Parichaya. It is programme open to students of PG, UG, and faculties of college. This programme helps students to learn a new word, its meaning and to express their views on it. This would enhance their skill of writing and vocabulary.
FACILITIES IN OUR LIBRARY:
- Open Access System
- Computerization of Library Catalogue (OPAC)
- Inflibnet NList Facility
- Orientation Programmes to Student
- Book Bank Scheme is in place under UGC Scheme
- New Arrivals display
- Lending of Books
- Book Reservation
- Book Renewal
- Inter Library Loan
- Paper Clippings
- Readers Guidance
- Reprography Services
- Internet Facility
- Old Question Papers
- Advertisement and Notification
- Book Exhibition
- Kannada Quotation from various books, newspapers and other sources are collected.
- Articles of various Science & Technology also has been collected and store.
- Both the collection can be used by the Library users at any time.
- Students are motivated to read more books by instituting BEST LIBRARY USER AWARD . The awardee is awarded on college day every year.
Online library & Information Resources:
Our College Library is also linked online with :
The physical education at Govinda Dasa College is met with discipline with out students excelling in numerous sports and represent our college and even our university in multiple sports disciplines.
The college is equipped with the following infrastructure for physical activities:
- A spacious ground with a 800m track suitable for track sports.
- The ground can also accommodate handball, cricket and football tournaments.
- A track space for jumping activities like Long Jump, High Jump, Triple Jump etc.
- A court for Volleyball, Throwball tournaments.
- A gymnasium for body and fitness training of our athlete students.
KALABDHI the cultural training centre- The Ocean of Talent
Vision Statement: “Striving at holistic development of students by creating versatile artists & instill a life-long passion towards community, arts & Culture in order to sustain, nurture & transmit regional culture to National & International horizon”
Talents are boundless.GDC students have been setting new benchmarks, in all fields especially in the field of arts from past three years.
It was in February 2019, when our Cultural Team represented India in an International Level, that the managing authority and the PTA of GDC felt a need to establish a Cultural Training Centre to unleash the talents of our students and the society by training and providing them with a platform to uplift the culture of our land to a new horizon. This led to the birth of “KALABDHI- The Ocean of Talent” -a new official Cultural Training Centre in the academic year 2019-20.
The passion of our students for art is manifested by excelling in all the possible Fine Arts fields such as dance, theatre, Mime, music, drawing, Yakshagana, Painting, Crafts, Warli Art, Clay Art, etc.In the ocean of ‘KALABDHI’ all hearts and talents come together to enjoy the waves of art.
Currently GDC Cultural Centre is headed by Prof. Ramesh Bhat and he is assisted by Mrs Deepa Shetty & Ms Punitha.R as the staff coordinators. Mr Vinod Shetty (Ex – Student) has been officially appointed as the Cultural Instructor from the academic year 2019-20.
We are proud of our Alumni who have excelled in various art forms and in spite of their busy schedule make time to train their juniors.
Our students have participated in various Inter-Collegiate/ University level, State and National level Fests and have brought laurels to our college. We have also conducted Inter – Collegiate Cultural Fest ‘DIGANTHA’
There is a great demand from the society for our student’s performance. Our students have exhibited their talents in NITK ,NMPT , MRPL ,District Commissioner organized programmes and various local temples on occasional events.
In order to boost the culture of Dakshina Kannada region,GDC Cultural Centre has been organizing Inter- Collegiate Yakshagana Competition under the banner named ‘YAKSHAYANA’, from past two years.
“Nrithya Prathibha-2K19” an Inter-Collegiate Dance Competition was organized in our college in association with the Directorate of Student Welfare, Mangalore University, Mangala Gangotri.
Every year, Government of India has been organizing Yuvajanotsava , a series of competitions at various levels. We have won many prizes in district level and twice we have won at state level in skit and represented Karnataka in National Yuvajanotsava.
The aegis of Association of Indian Universities (AIU), has been conducting competitions at various levels. GDC students have brought laurels to our college by grabbing the prizes at various levels. Our Folk Orchestra team has won thrice in university level and won once in South Zone Level. Folk dance Team have won 1st place thrice in university level, twice in South Zone level, once in National level and have represented India in an International Event, which has been marked as a Milestone in the history of GDC and Mangalore University.
From past two years, GDC Cultural team has been participating in Karavali Yuva Utsav, a Competition organized yearly by the District Commissioner (Mangalore). Our team has won most of the group and individual events by bagging ‘Karavali Atyuttama college’ Karavali Best College award and also our students have been awarded as ‘ Karavali Athuthama Yuvaka’ (Best Solo Male Performer)&‘ Karavali Athuthama Yuvathi’ (Best Solo Female Performer) in these years.
The Objectives of Kalabdhi are :
To create a thirst towards fine arts amongst Pre-university and degree students.
To provide a platform for their talent.
To shape the students to become a Resource person
To build a excellent Cultural team and motivate them to participate in various National & International competitions
To conduct various seminars & workshops to develop student’s artistic talents.
To train students in various domains of Fine Arts. Particularly :
Theatre ( Drama , Street Plays, Skit, Mime, etc.)
Music ( Classical ,Western & Light music & Instruments)
Dance (Classical, Semi-Classical, Western, Folk)
The primary purpose of the hostel is to provide an environment that is conducive for concentrated study and cultivate a life style of discipline and co-operation.Well secured ,conveniently located hostel facility for girl students.Discipline is practiced through well-maintained timings and study hours with strict vigilance exercised with regard to visitors.All students are expected to present in the hostel by 6.30 pm.
Round the clock hot water supply through solar heaters and uninterrupted lighting system are ensured. Indoor and outdoor games and reading hall are also provided.
Responsible wardens and supervisory staff looks after the welfare of the students. Discipline is practiced through well-maintained timings and study hours with strict vigilance exercised with regard to visitors.
Festivals are celebrated to make students feel homely. Sports is conducted for the students . Hostel day is celebrated with students participating in cultural activities.