About the course
Bachelor in Computer Application (BCA) is an undergraduate degree course in computer applications. With the rapid growth of the IT industry in India, the demand for computer professionals is increasing day by day. This increasing growth of the IT industry has created a lot of opportunities for computer graduates.
Bachelor in Computer Application (BCA) is one of the popular courses among the students who want to make their career in the IT (Information Technology) field. This course provides a lot of opportunities for students who are interested in the computer field and wants to work in the IT sector as a programmer or software developer. BCA students have opportunities in many areas as the computer is the backbone of every sector.
The candidates have to pass their Higher Secondary (10+2) Education with any Stream, are eligible to take admission in BCA.
The duration of the course is 3 years which is divided into 6 semesters.
I Semester BCA(NEP)
1)Fundamentals of Computers
2)Programming in C
4)LAB: Information Technology
5)LAB: C Programming
II Semester BCA(NEP)
1)Discrete Mathematical Structures
2)Data Structures using C
3)Object Oriented Concepts using JAVA
4)LAB: Data Structure
5)LAB: JAVA Lab
1) Data Base Management Systems
2) C# and DOT NET Framework
3) Computer Communication and Networks
5)LAB: C# and DOT NET Framework
1) Python Programming
2) Computer Multimedia and Animation
3) Operating Systems Concepts
4)LAB: Multimedia and Animation
5)LAB: Python Programming
Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) subjects.
VI Semester BCA
2)Network Security & Management
4)E1: Programming for Analytics
E2: Business Statistics with R
E3: Multivariate Data Analysis
- Apart from these, the student is required to study general papers as per university guidelines. These papers include: Indian Constitution & Human Right, Gender Equity
- The student is also required to opt for one co-curricular or extra-curricular activity for which, marks shall be awarded in each of the first four semesters. The student may opt one among the following Co-Curricular Activities: National Service Scheme (N.S.S.), N.C.C., Fine Arts, Sports & Game, H.R.D, Communication studies, Tailoring and Embroidery, Consumer Club & Career Guidance & Training.
Click here for more details on individual Extra Curricular & Co-curricular options.
Scope after BCA
- For graduates, job opportunities exist in Government as well as Private sector. Also, self-employment options are available.
- After BCA, which is an Undergraduate course, graduates may take up Government jobs that require a Graduation Degree (for example- Armed Forces, Nationalized Banks, PSUs etc).
- Under the Private sector, Software MNCs are the prime recruiters. Web hosting, IT sector, Electronics Industry are other sectors that recruit BCA graduates. Graduates may take up the following posts in the above mentioned sectors-Software Engineer, Software Tester, Database Management professional, Project Manager, Information Security Professional, Information Management professional, System Administrator, System Security Officer, Software Architect, Associate Software Engineer, Project Manager.
For any further query, contact:
Prof. Geetha (
Dean of Computer Science, Department of Computer Science.