The Bachelor of Science course requires students to complete certain number of hours in the science laboratories and conduct several experiments required by the syllabus.
The Laboratories at GDC are as follows:
The physics laboratory is a 600 sq. ft. floor area used for experimental work along with audio visual classes.
- The Physics lab explores various experiments that demonstrate, study several phenomena and formulae that are a consequence of physics. The plethora of apparatus and devices meant for the purpose of studying concepts in the field of mechanics, thermodynamics, electronics etc.
- A Optical Experiment room aka. Dark room is available exclusively to conduct various experiments based on light. The dark rooms houses instruments that can be used to conduct various optical experiments along with several spectral lamps and experimental light sources, to learn and verify various optical phenomena.
- The laboratory is also equipped with a mounted projector and presentation system and can host visually aided talks and lectures. This enables the department to also screen science documentaries for the students.
- The physics lab along with the experimental syllabus also promotes amateur astronomy and conducts regular sunspot views and sky watch programs. For this purpose, the laboratory consists of a 8” Dobsonian Mount Reflector Telescope and a 3” Refractor Telescope, both powered by tracker systems.
The laboratory is also used to demonstrate concepts that are not included in practical syllabus but are required in theory.
The students are also actively involved in building models and apparatus for competition and demonstration purposes.
Department provides well equipped laboratory which can accommodate 24 students for the practical’s in one batch . Located in the ground floor of science block and has two laboratories and preparation cum store room. With separate Physical Chemistry laboratory.
- Apart from regular teaching the department has been conducting student centered activities like “Do it yourself” and “Reaching out the society” and industrial visits.
- Instruments like Centrifugation machine, Potentiometer,Conductivity meter, Melting point apparatus , Colorimeter,pH meter have been regularly used in the laboratory.
- The chemistry lab along with experimental syllabus also invites and attracts students from various schools and PU colleges and demonstrates various experiments in the laboratory.
- The laboratory also encourages research activites for the students.
Mangalore University has introduced practicals for Mathematics subject in Bsc. In our college “Mathematics laboratory” inaugurated with 10 computers sponsored by MRPL under its CSR project.Computers are configured for practical programming purpose. The laboratory is also equipped with LCD projector system along with updated software’s and tools, It is now used for Bsc practicals and MCOM students using this lab to write their online test.