Kayyara Kinyanna Rai is Kannada Poet and Indian freedom fighter, Journalist, Teacher and farmer. He is one of the activists in the forefront of the movement demanding the unification of the Kasaragod district of Kerala into the state of Karnataka. Rai was born on March 29, 1915 at Peradala village in the Kasaragod district of Kerala and died 9th August 2015.
Rai has been conferred with the following awards:
- Karnataka Sahitya Academy award – 1969
- National Award for Best Teacher – 1969
- Honorary fellowship by Manipal Academy of Higher Education – 1970
- Pejawar Award in literature – 2004
- Alva’s Nudisiri Award – 2005
- Adarsha Ratna Award – 2006
- Nadoja (Teacher of the state) Award – 2006
- Karnataka Ekikarana (Unification) Award – 2007
Govinda Dasa College Library had celebrated 105th birthday of Kayyara Kinyanna Rai . Principal Prof. P.Krishnamurhty was the president. Principal and Vice Principal Prof. Ramesh Bhat S.G spoke about Kayyara Kinyanna Rai.
Librarian Smt. Savithri. A welcomed the gathering, Capt. Sudha U Shetty proposed the vote of thanks. Library Staff Chandrashekar has mastered the ceremony.