Vision Statement: “Striving for holistic development of students by creating versatile artists & instill a life-long passion towards community, arts & Culture in order to sustain, nurture & transmit regional culture and art forms to the National & International horizon”
Fine Arts Association commenced its journey of the current academic year (2018-19) with the inauguration of the association by Dr. Ananthakrishna Bhat, Rtd. Professor, Canara College, Mangalore at the Rangamandira, of the college on 30 July 2018. The fine arts activities are carried on under the stewardship of its Staff Co-ordinators Prof. Ramesh Bhat, Mrs.Deepa Shetty, Ms. Punitha. R and the student Coordinators Ms. Chaithra.S & Mr.Saurav Shriyan of 3rdB.Com. The association can boast of to have an enrolled strength of whopping 90 highly enthusiastic students at present drawn from different streams.
A new bench mark was set by our folk dance troupe successfully by bagging the 1st place in the National Level Youth Fest (PALASH), held at Ranchi, Jharkand in the year 2017-18, This unique achievement has placed on our shoulders more responsibilities to raise the bar to further heights in the current academic year.
Throughout the year, the association strives to provide more and more opportunities to students to exhibit their talent, either by hosting cultural events in the campus or by deputing them to various cultural programmes and competitions. Our efforts are well received by the students and they make the best use every opportunity that comes their way.
The highlights of our achievements this academic year:
- Miss Ananya of 1st BCA was honoured for her performance as MC with a Personal Appreciation Letter by the Joint Director, Dept. of Collegiate Education, Mangalore at the Indipendence Day cultural events 2018 hosted jointly with The Kannada Sahithya Parishat at town hall, Mangalore.
- Our teachers too are no way lag behind the students in their artistic talent. This fact was established beyond doubt in the Inter-Collegiate Teachers’ Talent Competition organized by Rotary Mangalore, Seaside on 25.08.2018 at Lourdes High School, Bejai. The Faculty of GDC bagged Overall Runners up Trophy & 2nd Prize in Skit in the contest.
- Our Folk Orchestra Team has won the 1st place in the University level cultural proficiency competition and were Selected to participate in the 34th Inter-University South Zone Youth Festival ‘PADMOTSAV 2018-19’, hosted by the Association Of Indian Universities between 7th and 12th Sept 2018 at Visvavidyalayam ,Thripathi
- Deputy Commissioner DK Dist sponsored final round of Karavali Yuva Utsav 2018 was staged at Kadri Park, Mangalore, on 27th & 28 Dec.2018. GovindaDasa College, Fine Arts team virtually proved to be invincible in all the competitive events, i.e., Bharathanatyam(Solo) -1st Place,Solo Western Dance -2nd Place, Solo Instruments Percussion-3rd Place , Solo Mono Acting -1st Place ,Fashion Show ,Speech (Debate)-2nd Place ,Western group Dance – 2nd Place , Group Dance (Folk)- 1st Place , Yakshagana (Duet) -1st Place ,Bharathanatya (group)- 3rd Place ,Mime- 1st Place ,Group Song (Light Music)-3rd Place, -Skit -2nd place .GovindaDasa College emerged as the Best College of Karavali (Karavaliathyuthama college) Shashank – 3rd B.com and & Ms.BindyaShetty – 1st B.Com were crowned as the Best Solo male and Female Performers respectively.
- For First the time in the history of GovindaDasa College, an Inter- Collegiate Yakshagana (Thenkuthitu) Competition ‘YAKSHA YANA -2019’ was hosted by Govinda Dasa College in association with PTA, of the college on 5th & 6th Jan 2019 at Rangamandira, . In all, seven colleges affiliated to Mangalore University participated in the contest.
- Our troupe won first place in folk dance, Best MC,mad ads,the best team and Mr Astitiva and 3rd place in best variety in the cultural extravaganza ‘Astithva -2019(Kala Krithi) organized by St. Aloysius College, Mangaluru on 8th & 9th Feb 2019.
- Association of Indian Universities (AIU) has been organizing the South Asian University Youth Festival (SAUFEST) since 2006, & this year .i.e., 12th SAUFEST-2019, was organised by Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur, Chhattisgarh, from Feb 22nd to Feb 26th, 2019. Many South Asian countries were invited and had participated in the same. For the first time in ever, Mangalore University, was represented by Govinda Dasa College and earned accolades for being adjudged to be the Ist winners amidst tough competition. It was certainly a momentous occasion for GOVINDA DASA COLLEGE FINE ARTS FOLK DANCE TEAM (Pooja Kunitha).
Staff Co-ordinator : Prof.Ramesh Bhat, Kalaabhdi co-odinator / SWO/ Vice – Principal, Govinda Dasa College, Surathkal.